Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Utsav

Full Discharge Of The Battery.

I've heard that if you wish to make your Handset's battery live long, you should let the battery be discharged completely before you put it on to the charger tray. Is it a myth or truth?

as per my experience, if you charge the battery after it totally discharges, it lasts long. but if you charge it from the half way, it comparatively gives you less time.

try it and post your experience.

Anyway..

It is good habit to charge ur phone after fully discharge.. but practilly it is not possible every time.

but it is good for the battery's life if it is dischared completely once a while like every 2 weeks

and then charged again.

but it is good for the battery's life if it is dischared completely once a while like every 2 weeks

and then charged again.

Why is it so can u explain the reason behind it?

The reason is obvious - it has to do with the phenomenon of "memory" in the battery. Those who are really intrested could look up some good literature on it... However Li-Ion batterys are not known to suffer from it. So it should not make a difference.

In my case, I try to let my battery discharge completely (or almost compeltely) before recharging. Somehow it does seem to make a positive difference! Strange... ;)

It is a strange phenomenon that occurs in Ni-Cd battery. I dunno about Li-ion batts. In No-Cd, the battery starts charging from there where it is left with charge.

Full Charge------: 123456789012345678901234567890

Aft Discharge----: 123456789012

Next Recharge---: ************345678901234567890

Next discharge---: ----------------34

Next Recharge---: **************5678901234567890

After a certain repetitions, the "*" zone becomes DEAD!

I know for sure that for Li-ion batteries the life of the battery is measured in number of recharge cycles. So lets say a battery has a life of 100 charges. Now this 100 charges means 100 complete charges, ie. 1 charge = complete depletion to full charge. Therefore if you charge when the battery has discharged only half way, you will prolong the life of the battery because you have only consumed .5 charge, and you have 99.5 charges left, as opposed to if you had let it completely discharge and thefore would have consumed 1 full charge, leaving 99 charges.

Gandalf

It is a strange phenomenon that occurs in Ni-Cd battery. I dunno about Li-ion batts. In No-Cd, the battery starts charging from there where it is left with charge.

Full Charge------: 123456789012345678901234567890

Aft Discharge----: 123456789012

Next Recharge---: ************345678901234567890

Next discharge---: ----------------34

Next Recharge---: **************5678901234567890

After a certain repetitions, the "*" zone becomes DEAD!

18874[/snapback]

Its all the same then, because when you charge it again after it has discharged 50%, it gets charged ONLY 50%! You see...? You won't be PROLONGING the life of the battery that way!

The effect is called "Memory Effect". My new digitcal camera has Ni-Mh batteries and the manual warns against this "Memory Effect". It is 100% safe to charge Ni-Cd/Li-ion batteries as often as you want. Ni-Cd/Li-ion batteries simply dont have the "memory effect".

But I've heard this abt Ni-Cd batts from my Sir (M.Sc. physics).

Conclusion guys, Memory Effect is applicable for Ni-Cd batteries only, not for NiMH or Li-ion batta. So... Don't worry behappy :(