Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
vishalmcp

How To Remove Usb Memory Hack

Hi all,

I am having a usb pen drive, its printed "sony" on it. But the chipset its showing is "Alcor". the capacity its showing is 120 Gb. But without any data in it when i saw the space usage its showing 4 gb used. With windows XP proff. I am not able to even format it. When I copy some data in it it gets copied properly but after some time again when we re-insert it, the folder size becomes 0 kb with no data in it. I have tried with different pc's but still the same. I think its a fake one, with some sort of memory hack done so it is showing more capacity then it might be having.

I have searched on net but i am not able to find any proper solution to it.

So if anyone has any tool through which I can format it & get the usable actual capacity of it, please do tell me.

Would be waiting for answers.

• Like 2

I dont this no company lauch pen drive beyond 32gb u says 120gb?

There must be some problem in your Pen Drive

Hi all,

I am having a usb pen drive, its printed "sony" on it. But the chipset its showing is "Alcor". the capacity its showing is 120 Gb. But without any data in it when i saw the space usage its showing 4 gb used. With windows XP proff. I am not able to even format it. When I copy some data in it it gets copied properly but after some time again when we re-insert it, the folder size becomes 0 kb with no data in it. I have tried with different pc's but still the same. I think its a fake one, with some sort of memory hack done so it is showing more capacity then it might be having.

I have searched on net but i am not able to find any proper solution to it.

So if anyone has any tool through which I can format it & get the usable actual capacity of it, please do tell me.

Would be waiting for answers.

Yes, indeed. It is a fake. Some of these fake Chinese pen-drives bear brand names like Sony, Toshiba and will show very high capacity but will not work for even a fraction of the claim. This is a lost case, my friend. Consider it as a wastage of money. And don't waste time over it.

It normally is caused by a defective zero sector / FAT info. An ideal solution would be to use a low level formatter for the USB drive, (you can try HP Key format), and then format with the normal windows format tool..

cheers

karki

It is not defective zero sector, in many cases it is hacked zero sector. Year and a half back, I bought 1GB MP4 player from China. It can copy all 1 GB but can not read beyong 256 MB, I searched net and found that they hack zero / fat info and make it the capacity they want. I posted it some where here too.

I used to do it on floppies using diskedit (NU tools) when I was in college :D ... same stuff ... more memory :D

its as good as defective track zero .. rectified on a low level format :)

cheers

karki

I too used to double the space of my harddisk with the same disk compression utility known as DOUBLE SPACE / DRIVE SPACE in 1994. When I have 256 MB Hard Disk Drive and works on Windows 3.0 / 3.1 :)

@ashok

My dear friend, your post remembered me of my old days. :)

Regards.

It normally is caused by a defective zero sector / FAT info. An ideal solution would be to use a low level formatter for the USB drive, (you can try HP Key format), and then format with the normal windows format tool..

cheers

karki

I have used HP format tool but nothing happend. It is giving error "too big to format" when I am using FAT/FAT32. But when using NTFS it is giving error "format failed".

@vishal:

Normally works ... if you are free on saturday - we could catch up at one of the CCD's and check it up .. what say ?

It is not defective zero sector, in many cases it is hacked zero sector. Year and a half back, I bought 1GB MP4 player from China. It can copy all 1 GB but can not read beyong 256 MB, I searched net and found that they hack zero / fat info and make it the capacity they want. I posted it some where here too.

OK, Now I got. That's the reason that now people selling MP3/4 players explictly claim that 1 GB means full 1 GB usable as can be seen in most eBay listings.

Otherwise there is no need for such claims.