Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chandannasta

Dual Core And Core 2 Duo

Guys what is the difference between dual core and core 2 duo systems? Which 1 is the best? Which system is going to be for the long run any of these 2 or the quad core system? Please let me know as I need to buy now in 2 months. My budget is appx 30 to 35000 on installment basis.

^^^

@Chandan

My dear friend, Core 2 Duo is much better if you are going to purchase a new computer in the near future.

Dual Core has 2 MB L2 Cache & Core 2 Duo has 4 MB L2 Cache Memory.

So Core 2 Duo is faster.

Regards.

I just assembled 2 systems from Nehru Place, one low end and one high end. Here are their specifications and cost:

Low end:

CPU Intel Celeron 1.8 1675/-; MB Gigabyte 945 2140/-; HDD Sata2 Seagate 160 GB 1900/-; RAM Kinston 1GB DDR2 950/-; DVD Writer Samsung 1140/-; Cabinet Mora Series E 850/-; Keyboard HP 250/-; Mouse Optical Samsung 240/= Total Cost 9,145/=

Add Ons if you want to- Monitor CRT 17" Samsung 4090/- or LCD Benq/Acer 15" 6540/- or LCD 17" LG 8120/- or LCD 19" wide LG 8840/-; UPS Solus 650VA 1240/-; Microtek 600VA 1750/-.

Options: Dual Core CPU Intel 2.0Ghz 2940/- i.e. diff only Rs. 1265/- from Celeron - Go for this.

High End:

CPU Intel Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz 5240/- (option Quad Core 2.4Ghz 9390/-); MB Intel Original DG31PR Box 3240/- (option G33FBC 4790/-); HDD Sata2 Seagate 250GB 2275/- (option 500GB 3640/-); 1 GB x 2 Kingston DDr2 1900/-; DVD write same 1140/-; Display Card NVidia GE Force 8500/256MB 2350/-; Cabinet Mora Pro Handle 4 Front USB 1350/-; Total Rs. 17495/-

Now the rest choice is yours. I would suggest Low end version for you until you use lots of AutoCAD or Photoshop but with Dual Core instead of celeron.

Hope this helps all...

Edited by dkaile

good info dhiraj!! :)

@Dhiraj

Good piece of information my dear friend.

But Nehru Place in Delhi is the Asia's largest Computer Market and products sold their are available at the cheapest. As it is the wholesale market. I think you are staying very near to Nehru Place.

Now the problem that could arise to the readers of your post is that, they will compare your mentioned price with their local dealer. And definetely the price will be higher then what you had purchased at.

So my dear friends, if you are expecting the PC, at the same price as Dheeraj purchased, then you have to visit your city's wholesale market of computer parts. If you are expecting the same configuration from your local dealer then be ready to shell out Rs.2000/- above the price that Dheeraj has mentioned.

Regards.

^^^^

I stay in Meerut (70kms from Nehru Place) and not only me but thousands of alert buyers go there from whole of North India to assemble their computers for best components at lowest prices. I do go to Delhi often and live near Nehru Place whenever there. But thats no reason not to look for the best deal. These are exact street prices which anybody going there gets with No Bargaining. Name of Shop- Cost to Cost Computers, 106, Meghdoot Building, 94 Nehru Place, New Delhi-19 Tel: 011-46561620, 46561621. All goods are with full BILL with full tax paid and 1-3 years warranty.

Disclaimer: I am in no way related to the above computer shop. It is just to provide my friends at RIMweb best shared info.

Edited by dkaile

^^^

My dear friend, I know that you are from Meerut as your profie also says the same. In one of your post in another forum you told that you are staying at Greater Kailash and obviously its very near to Nehru Place.

And sure their is no problem to buy the products from this largest computer market of Asia. Even I myself used to buy them from wholesale markets only.

The only problem could be for after sales service. Local computer dealer will definetely be better for this purpose if any part of the computer goes faulty after the purchase. But the local computer shop cannot offer the same price as we can get from Nehru Place.

On site warranty is offered only for Monitors and some Printer models. For other faulty spares like Hard Disk, Mother Boards, CD Rom, RAM, etc. the customer has to visit the Authorised Service Centre himself. Here comes the problem with the customer, if the customer is not a technical expert.

Regards.

I have been using assembled computers from Nehru Place for more than 20 years now. In 99% of cases I did not need service within the warranty period because the components I had bought were of reputed manufacturers. In any case for replacing within warranty period you will have to go to the Authorised Service Centre, but thats a small price to pay when the price is escalated by 30-40% by local shops and 100-200% if you give it a Brand Name.

You would rarely require service if assembled properly. AMC can be taken by 3rd party if necessary. However the object of this forum is to make our members self reliant and not be fleeced by local computer shops in the name of providing better service.

All good manufacturers are providing Nation wide service nearest to your home. A case in point would be my Acer 4710 Laptop purchased on bill from the same shop about 9 months back at a saving of about 3000/- from the lowest price available anywhere else, whose left mouse key is sticking and needed service. I thought I would have to go to Delhi, but when I called Acer Service they told me a service centre has opened in Meerut itself and I could go there and get it rectified free of cost.

Just for information...

Edited by dkaile

Very correct my dear Dhiraj.

I too always prefer assembled computers as they are always cost effective.

But still I recommend local computer shop for those who are not so good at technical side.

Regards.

I too bought 4 New PCs for my Web World, that same assembled from Nehru Palace.

All 4 PCs costed me around 60k Only.

Configuration is quite simple and sober, as we have to work on Internet Explorer and Outlook Only.

None of 3rd Party software is required except essentials,- Office and PDF.

1. LCD 16" - Samsung 632 - Rs. 7500/- This is the best looking LCD available in market. It looks like Samsung TV.

2. Keyboard and Mice - Microsoft DT 500 Kit

3. Cabinet - iBall - Baby 306 - Mini Cabinet

4. Mother Board - Intel GCNL 945

5. Processor - Intel Celeron 1.8

6. RAM - 512 MB Simtronics

7. Hard Disk - SATA 80 GB

8. DVD RW - SATA Samsung

9. Barcode Scanner - TVS

well i too buy the computer from the nehru place good thing about the Nehru Place is that you get all components and you can compare it with the other brands too so you have full variety available. But if you are purchasing anything from Nehru Place then make sure that you make 2-3 shops regularly so that in case you find any problem in any component then you will get the quick service through the dealer. else it's hard to locate the shop in the Fish market of the NehruPlace

dual core is replaced by core 2 duo, somebody has differentiated the 'matter' that is not noticeable by many. but the fact is that even this technology will soon be replaced by 'quad core' and become more performance intensive..

some days back i had an offer of HP[ T9100, 2.5 GHZ, 300GB HDD, 4GB Ram for approx 60k. from one of the saudi friends..

this configuration was not even on display in US.. It shows how fast the technology takes a jump...to make your current config look ancient for the 'technology savvy'

for people like me a celeron 1.6, 512,40gb is more than suffiecient for the purpose.

Edited by copperco2

dont mean to hijack the post but u might wanna compare performance with an AMD too... 9 out of 10 times AMD outdoes the intel for almost half the price... i have been using them for as long as i can remember and they have only got better with time...

Thats true, they have an excellent cost benefit ratio

honestly so i'd not just limit their excellence to cost alone... i've seen them handling better than the intels... time and time again... things have gotten better with athalon series onwards i must say...

AMD 4000 (equivalent to Core2duo) along with Gigabyte Motherboard is available for 4390/- (combined cost); with ASus MB 5150/-; with MSI MB 4950/-

:o

I bought Celeron 1.8 Ghz with Intel MB for Rs. 1800+Rs.3200 = Rs.5000.

In Rs. 5150 I might have got Core 2 Duo Equavalent..

@ Dheeraj - Do all applications work with AMD? And I have listened that Win XP for AMD is differnet?

yeah... just becoz it aint as well known intel chips in India so not many use it... it works with everything... just like intel u get amd 64 bit processors too for which u would need a win 64 bit but it doesnt mean ur regular win xp wont work... it would work like a charm... anything would...

I just assembled 2 systems from Nehru Place, one low end and one high end. Here are their specifications and cost:

Low end:

CPU Intel Celeron 1.8 1675/-; MB Gigabyte 945 2140/-; HDD Sata2 Seagate 160 GB 1900/-; RAM Kinston 1GB DDR2 950/-; DVD Writer Samsung 1140/-; Cabinet Mora Series E 850/-; Keyboard HP 250/-; Mouse Optical Samsung 240/= Total Cost 9,145/=

Add Ons if you want to- Monitor CRT 17" Samsung 4090/- or LCD Benq/Acer 15" 6540/- or LCD 17" LG 8120/- or LCD 19" wide LG 8840/-; UPS Solus 650VA 1240/-; Microtek 600VA 1750/-.

Options: Dual Core CPU Intel 2.0Ghz 2940/- i.e. diff only Rs. 1265/- from Celeron - Go for this.

High End:

CPU Intel Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz 5240/- (option Quad Core 2.4Ghz 9390/-); MB Intel Original DG31PR Box 3240/- (option G33FBC 4790/-); HDD Sata2 Seagate 250GB 2275/- (option 500GB 3640/-); 1 GB x 2 Kingston DDr2 1900/-; DVD write same 1140/-; Display Card NVidia GE Force 8500/256MB 2350/-; Cabinet Mora Pro Handle 4 Front USB 1350/-; Total Rs. 17495/-

Now the rest choice is yours. I would suggest Low end version for you until you use lots of AutoCAD or Photoshop but with Dual Core instead of celeron.

Hope this helps all...

U mean to say the whole computer is just going to cost me 17,495, or if I take the options one then appx 25,000. Is that correct. I am from Mumbai bandra area. Are you sure about it. One thing still one of the members said that in future quad core is going to over take core 2 duo. Sill confused which 1 to go for core 2 duo or quad core? I think the difference is not much as shown above just 4 to 5000 rs if I am not mistaken. Guys help me out in taking a nice decision as I want to have the best computer for not more then 5 or 6 years.