Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Stone Media

Cable Isp Business

Hi Friends,

Based in Mumbai I am into mobile content development. I am intending to venture into cable ISP business targeting small and mid-sized towns. In this regard, I wish to seek some information .

Firstly, whether cable ISP still a profitable business in India considering the fact that the penetration of internet in India is still very less and even lesser in small and mid-sized towns. Further, do cable ISPs have a good future in view of the newer technologies like 3G, Wimax etc.

I believe the license fees is around Rs.10 lacs initially and a percentage of turnover/profits annually.

Kindly also provide me with info regarding any hurdles and threats or any other kind of major problems faced by the industry today and other related information you think will be valuable for me

Apologies for any technical ignorance.

Looking forward to here from you.

Thanks in advance

Friend, One advice; conduct thorough Market Research and Analysis.. Though at macro-level it appears that only 'big' and 'national' operators will survive in long run.. Also, by being small player you cannot 'economies of scale' which other big players enjoy.. I suggest, you buy some industry reports and white-paper in this regard to get a better understanding of industry forecast, threats, etc..

Edited by vmsanghrajka