Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
AmanJ

Reliance To Launch High-end Handsets

Reliance targets high-end handsets at lifestyle segment 

KOLKATA:  Reliance Infocomm Ltd has decided to launch four to five high-end mobile handsets priced at around Rs 20,000 each within the next two months. Reliance will source these phones from Nokia, Samsung and LG.

The handsets, with bigger displays, higher memory and colour resolution, and bigger phonebooks, are targetted at the lifestyle segment.

This will be the first time that Reliance is introducing mobile phones in the Rs 20,000 range.

Reliance’s launch is based on psychographic analysis on consumers’ living patterns and love for high-end gadgets.

Instead of lumping its potential customer base as one market, Reliance has started segmenting the market.

So if R World, the window to a world of information, communication and entertainment, is for the youth segment, R Connect is for the business class, which wants to surf the net.

Kaushik Roy, marketing head of Reliance Infocomm, said mobile operators in general have to further segmentise the SEC-A category if they are to increase the average revenue per user (ARPU). So the initiative is to target housewives, students and others in this category who have a special attraction for lifestyle products.

At present, Reliance offers 20 handset models of various brands priced between Rs 2,500 to Rs 11,000. It also offers a personal digital assistant (PDA) at Rs 30,000.

“Though we have always positioned our brand as one of the mass brands, we have realised we should segmentise our potential customers. One of the possible areas is to address the needs of the lifestyle segment, which is ready to spend more,” said Mr Roy.

Hence the need to launch high-end phones capable of handling various interactive multimedia services. For example, the new phones will be able to support large video clips.

Such handsets are already available for users of GSM mobile phone services.

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_st...ontent_id=71252

20 models???? uhuh! ;)

Are there going to be upgrade opportunities for DAPO users!!!! :)

i hope they do. i hope they have symbian based phones from nokia or windows mobile based phones. then there will be a whole new world of things u can do u ur phone & net access will be a different league totally.

i just cant wait. if they ever come out with a communicator... i will pay almost anything for it....

just talking about the possibilities is making me DROOL!!!!

(i just hope they dont burst my bubble)

I hope they give an upgrade option .

Otherwise there will be a lot fof discontent

Come reliance cant forget its "roots"

wat say pepal?

Folks upgradation offer is already available. Check your nearest WWe.

Could somebody give the details of the upgrade schemes hes been told of? :)

i got the upgrade to 7230 from 2030

i chose the option of foreclose the present handset account, no need to pay any installments on old handset, surrender your old one .they transfered my dapo and old number on new handset.i paid 9999/- i did not get any discount as i paid 3350/- while taking my first handset. if u are in outright payment option in first handset u can discount of 750/-

offcourse i got this after a lot of struggle with chairaman . the ww ppl were very stubbern on this upgrade.

but i think if u dont want dapo and old number it is always good to sell your 2030 for 1500/- and go for new connection.those who have more calls on rim to fwp/t the dapo is useless as u are charged at rs.1/- pm in dapo.....so think or joy 399 is good with 7230.....but no free sms...this or that...

with outright payment option discount of 750 only that is not fair out of 21000 paid in one go you get so less refund then what is the use of upgrade better go for a gsm as it is cheaper and better

forget about the past. think now that u are getting 7230 with two batteries, datacable, .3megapixel camera flip phone in just 9999/- and plan 149 with cel to cel option is always better than any gsm. ucant get any gsm phone with these features this price

Their (mobile handsets) ads have been coming on tv channels ... and the variety is quite nice !!

Yeah, variety of junk! R-World doesn't work on some of them, R-Connect on others...the list goes on...

The sets which have all the functions as well as being good to look at and easy to use are VERY few.

don't purchase any handset of RIM unless u see a working demo. even don't believe anybody. otherwise u will suffer like me. i am suffering a lot after purchasing Gtran with very poor rworld, poor battery response, very poor sms display.

Yeah, variety of junk! R-World doesn't work on some of them, R-Connect on others...the list goes on...

The sets which have all the functions as well as being good to look at and easy to use are VERY few.

16462[/snapback]

Variety of junk is right! Tariffs not so attractive either. Considering everthing, RIM just dosen't look attractive enuf for a new customer! And if you are a SMS junkie, then RIM is absolute no-no ...SMS bugs in many handsets ...and no support for concatenated SMSes! No MMS to GSM phones either!! No Yahoo! messenger access! No ringtones from elsewhere! Whats more, no flexibilty with handsets and plans even within its own network!!! . The only good thing perhaps is the network. RIM really needs to give a hard look at itself...

Edited by raccoon

RIM really needs to give a hard look at itself.

16478[/snapback]

It will if it wants to stay in the market!! BSNL is definitely going to prove a strong issue for RIM and i guess RIM will obviously look within a hundred times more than it was doing earlier! The HUNGAMA is over now...!

the worst part is no flexibility in handsets. i wrote to the chairman that i am ready to buy my own handset and they have to program it to connect to reliance network... but they keep refusing. they say value adds like rworld will not run - big deal i dont need them anyways!!! their policies are so inflexibile.