Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tanveer

Help Me

Hi all tech experts, I have a 1.8 Ghz P4, 128 Mb at my parents place. It has XP as well as win98 (though 98 is seldom used), but it is painfully slow. I am used to P4 2.4 256 Mb, can anyone help me and give tips regarding whaall simple things can be done in order to speed it up. I dont want very complicated advices as i am not an expert and will do more harm than good if i try my hand at something which is not my cup of tea. Your help will be appreciated.

The simplest thing you can do is upgrade the RAM to 512 MB...

Mine is a P4 1.5 GHz with 512 MB RAM bought three years back and it still Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just upgrading RAM wont help much ...1st find out whats cluttering up ur RAM! Uninstall applications which are hogging up your RAM. Windows can load lots of things at start up which you dont always need. Some applications like anti virus, firewalls, etc can also hog a lot of RAM. 256 MB RAM is ok for normal use. In fact for Win 98, you probably shouldn't install more. XP would be able to utilise more RAM much better ...but the difference wont be too much ...esp. for normal use.

There are lot of other things you can do like tweaking BIOS, etc, etc ...but that will take some doing...

Edited by raccoon

Tanveer actually windows for along time system gets slow. actually we install unrequired applications and do many other changes. intrnet also plays a role in PC slow down.

i will suggest to reinstall Windows.

I am having 3 OS in PC. INstalling windows after 3 months proves to be very useful for me.

Check whether you got a good quality motherboard....

Just check for adware in the pc.adwares always make pc very slow. you can get a adware scanner at www.lavasoftusa.com :)

128 MB for XP is a bit low (U might consider adding up to make it 256) but first thing is to check the system for Viruses & spywares & defragementing once.

better install two adware remover program try adaware as said above and spybot also as adaware leaves some and these r cleaned by spybot these r the two most recommended antispyware softwares

Tanveer, for increasing system speed, pls read my following post:

http://www.rimweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2214

Here i told the ways to speed up Windows XP and most of them also work on Windows 98, like msconfig utility,etc.