Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rEdshiFt

Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%

this is from another forum....

quite interesting stuff....

thank you InFiNiT~~iNfErNo for ur excellent share :blink:

Increase your Bandwidth by 20%

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

works on XP Pro, and 2000

other OS not tested.

its do-able only in xp pro.

try it and post ur comments.....

Very old thing.

Thats a fake thing that u can find on many sites telling u about it.

But nothing will happen!

PS:gpedit.msc is Group Policy Editor. It allows u to tweak a lots of Win XP (also Win 2000, 2003) settings. ENJOY!!!

Dear redshift,

Some common sense question, how the packet scheduler is marking the priority of packets, ummm do they hardcoded the there site info in it, or microsoft now developed some another braindead protcol :-).

Anyway it's really really fake tweak, guess you should do your home work before forwarding such a post, ummm autopsy of the traffic under the some nice packet sniffer wud been suffice.

Cheers ................

hmmm....

Some common sense question, how the packet scheduler is marking the priority of packets, ummm do they hardcoded the there site info in it, or microsoft now developed some another braindead protcol :-).

i have no idea what this all means....defenitly not a "common sense" question to me

anyways...im sorry if this happens to be some outdated/useless tweak...

well, i guess thats the advtage of postin a quote !! ... if there is sometin wrong with the content, then - "hey, im not sayin it, jus quotin" !!

anyways, jus for the record, its not from some third_rate_website_tweak_ur_pc stuff...it was posted on the Xboard forums...its a pretty decent(!) warez bulletin board with some 14,000+ members...posted by this dude called InFiNiT~~iNfErNo...and he happens to be an admin also... so i would rather gladly recomend u to ask common-sense questions to tehse kinda dudez...dudez who know the answers

cheers

It's all right dude, when ppl can fool BBC...it's nothing...and it happens.

Cheers.........

Itss not fake! QOS or Quality Of Service, This thing appeared about 2 years back in Digit, it just gives u a little boost on throughoutput, in actual downloading.

Edited by rahuldevnath

I'hv also read it in DIGIT magazine some time ago!

But u know DIGIT also publishes the news & information in its magazine, which it gets from other sites and its Forum.

So no matter where it was published.

Its does nothing!!!

Itss not fake! QOS or Quality Of Service,  This thing appeared about 2 years back in Digit, it just gives u a little boost on throughoutput, in actual downloading.

27000[/snapback]

Dear rahuldevnath,

Thanx for enlightening me about the QoS :-) , but my question remains how the xp or it's any cousin is marking the packets thats related to system updatation as of high priority, well what me and so the traffic sniffer found is not like this.

If you inisist I can post the traffic dump of a xp pro peer, that might help you answer the question, till then I will insist please do the homework before posting such a garbage tweak that try to justify it's usage using some technical mambo-jambo without giving any significant evidence.

Cheers ................

shutup dacodez. you're arrogance saddens me.

Others: This is a real "tweak" and it will work. QoS is Windows' Quality of Service packet schedular. What it does is, it reserves 20% of the total bandwidth currently available to Windows. Why does it do that? No, they dont want to slow down your internet connection but they want to reserve the bandwidth. Suppose you got a 100Kbps connection. Windows will reserve 20Kbps while 80Kbps will be freely available to all programs. Now lets say you are downloading a Linux distro. There are also, messengers, p2p apps, browsers, etc... running. These apps contend fiercely for bandwidth. This will lead to certain critical apps(if any) from getting any bandwidth at all UNLESS something gives it RESERVED bandwidth. Yep, thats exactly what QoS Packet schedular does. It ensure that all applications get atleast a MINIMUM share of the entire bandwidth.

Now, if you use this tweak and set the reservable bandwidth to 0 then you might have some weird experiences like your messenger just disconnects or your browser doesnt display any content while you're doing heavy downloading. For Win XP users you can uninstall the QoS packet schedular. This will remove the QoS entirely.

shutup dacodez. you're arrogance saddens me.

Others: This is a real "tweak" and it will work. QoS is Windows' Quality of Service packet schedular. What it does is, it reserves 20% of the total bandwidth currently available to Windows. Why does it do that? No, they dont want to slow down your internet connection but they want to reserve the bandwidth. Suppose you got a 100Kbps connection. Windows will reserve 20Kbps while 80Kbps will be freely available to all programs. Now lets say you are downloading a Linux distro. There are also, messengers, p2p apps, browsers, etc... running. These apps contend fiercely for bandwidth. This will lead to certain critical apps(if any) from getting any bandwidth at all UNLESS something gives it RESERVED bandwidth. Yep, thats exactly what QoS Packet schedular does. It ensure that all applications get atleast a MINIMUM share of the entire bandwidth.

Now, if you use this tweak and set the reservable bandwidth to 0 then you might have some weird experiences like your messenger just disconnects or your browser doesnt display any content while you're doing heavy downloading. For Win XP users you can uninstall the QoS packet schedular. This will remove the QoS entirely.

27076[/snapback]

Dear linuxguy,

There is nothing to shutup about and it's not about being arrogant it's all about speaking against some blind conclusion,

what do you mean by { QoS is Windows' Quality of Service packet schedular }, umm I guess almost all of the modern OS is having this, it's nothing windows specific, even linux is having it :-).

check your

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/sched/*

Hmmppfff any decent book on TCP/IP suite or peer review of any TCP/IP stack implementation could have told you what is this QoS is in context of TCP/IP.

Second why they are reserving and how this tweak can override it, I am curious about the marker they are using for packets identification thats destined for sites providing system updation.

BTW have you done the testing, can you post the QoS packet scheduler statistics for both the case, or you just read it somewhere and now trying to justify it's usage .

Again I will repeat

{ Do the homework before posting such a garbage tweak that try to justify it's usage using some technical mambo-jambo without giving any significant evidence }.

Cheers ............

phew... zipped way over my head....

i'll leave it to u guys...ppl who know....

i have a related question - u know the automatic 'windows update' feature right? is there any way to get more control over it?

i know i can turn it off..thats not what i mean - how cum we can never pause it cancel it or anything? shucks, we cant even know whats being downloaded !!

whats the word? do we have any tweaks to hmm, gain more control ?

Dacodez, now you're not making ANY sense. This particular TWEAK sets the QoS packet schedular's reservable bandwidth to 0% effectively disabling it. Thus, you will be able to download at 100% of your bandwidth instead of the 80% previously. Now what part of this clarification dont you understand?

If you inisist I can post the traffic dump of a xp pro peer, that might help you answer the question, till then I will insist please do the homework before posting such a garbage tweak that try to justify it's usage using some technical mambo-jambo without giving any significant evidence.

First of all. I did not post it. Secondly i hope linuxguy has answred ur queries,

Now read.

By default ur QOS is not at all enabled! We need to enable it and make it 0%. Now, it's taken as even after disabeling it still aquires ur 20% bandwith. Now this statement may be false, and we are not actually increasing our bandwith with enableing it and changing it to 0% but QOS is just not there to fool ppl.

Edited by rahuldevnath

Dacodez, now you're not making ANY sense. This particular TWEAK sets the QoS packet schedular's reservable bandwidth to 0% effectively disabling it. Thus, you will be able to download at 100% of your bandwidth instead of the 80% previously. Now what part of this clarification dont you understand?

27166[/snapback]

Dear linuxguy,

What do you mean by { packet schedulars reservable bandwidth to 0% effectively disabling it }, are you saying that XP's packet schedulars are so lame that they insist on reserving bandwidth for system updation:-), secondly QoS expands to tos marker in the actual packet that goes in/out the system, and according to the tos marker kernel's packet scheduler decides which packets to prioritize and which to not, and again theres more than one QoS packet scheduler . I hope you are aware of the PACKET QUEUEING AND THE DIFFERENT SCHEDULING ALGORITHM associated with it like INGRESS/EGRESS classifiers.

So what I understand is that this tweak is talking about bandwidth management, now if one is having A/DSL,T1-T3,FO link than it do make sense to some extent, but using this tweak with a link that's saturation point is around 160Kbps and thats also time dependent is real gross.

Another thing is that you can have control over your upload speed but download speed is not in ur control until unless you are the one who is having an immense control over the internets backbone network.

So either you drop the packets when you are recieving the packets to simulate the cliiping effect on your downside bandwidth, or you are having some intelligent router with a real large buffer in built which can queue up your downside packets.

But both of these points will be nullified here in the context of r-connect connection { Assuming this tweak was for the pplz using r-connect }.

Anyway do you have any idea how much packets can be queued on the phones modem through which we are using r-connect, I wud be obliged if you can provide me some information regarding queue size of the phones modem.

One more thing if system is reserving 20% of availabe bandwidth for maintaining the interactivity of latency critical applications for e.x general surfing, text/audio/video chatting, listening to audio/video streaming than there is nothing wrong with the default setting, but again you guyz are repeating that this 20% is reserved for system updating tools and that is weired and it void the sole purpose of QoS concept.

My second query was that ok they are reserving the 20% for system updation but how they are marking the packets, what TOS value they are using and what happened to other data, assuming they are coming into that 20% window , does it get dropped and if it is than I think XP'S default network parameters is defined by some brain dead pplz.

Dont tell me the 20% and 80% theory, I think I have posted enough and I make sense enough for the ones who knows how this network run and how we can manage it.

But if you find something about this mysterious packet marker used by the so called QoS packet scheduler of the XP system then do inform me.

I wud also like to know how and what these tos marker have the effects on the routers, that are present between microsoft's site and the peers trying to get updates from it.

And again I will repeat,

Please do the homework while spitting fire, I wear asbestos most of the time.

Cheers .......................

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP:

As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

The above 2 paragraphs are microsofts stand on QOS

OK if i have understood this sm what firstly we ppl are arguing on something that isnt happening coz when they say by default ... they mean only when QOS has been enabled then by default its set to 20%

Secondly according to them through windows apis u can either make programs qos enabled or if u already use qos enabled programs u can set some priority so that priority is given to those programs

I hope this helps solve sm confusion

Edited by andycool87

So dacodecz

if u read my post it seems u r i na way right

They r not blocking the bandwidth ... they are simply prioritizing it...

that is if the QOS enabled program wants to send data then it is gaiven a priority

So enjoy

And thanks this post has been very interesting

Also i would like to add... guys take a chill pill instead of fighting with each other it would be great if all of us stuck together and found answers

Keep Smiling

Aman