Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stranger

Evdo Status

What's status on EVDO service roll out? I was in India for few weeks in December and January. I enjoyed RIM service it was much better then regular dial up.

It's always amusing talking to some RIM service center attendents. There was a RIM lady who knew a little more then any one before and after however none can help with setting up my GTRAN 6210 EVDO and 1XRTT but I can't blame them since the card was not certified by RIM. :grin:

EVDO services has not started yet, it's in testing phase by Reliance.

Then also when can be expext this ervice. will different hanset will be launched. as i was planing to upgrade then i may wait for evdo handsets. does anybody know about any evdo handsets in forign markets then pls mention the comapny name, model no and web site if possible.

Here's some...

vx8000.jpg

Verizon / LG VX8000 EVDO

cdm8940.jpg

Verizon / UTStarcom CDM8940 3G EV-DO

SCH-a890.jpg

Verizon / Samsung SCH-a890 EVDO

Verizon is the service provider...

Just have a look at the available Ev-DO phones from LG on Verizon operator in US in the following link.

http://us.lge.com/Product/prodlist.do?actT...l=4&archivedYn=

The first row("the v" and "vx8100") phones are Ev-DO phones and the features are rocking.

Now the question is when Reliance will move to Ev-DO?

Discuss the features and expectations on the next generation phones.

<TOPIC MERGED!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

The following link is a link to product list of KDDI operator - Japan who is very experienced operator in Ev-DO. As we already aware that Japenese market is very much experienced in 3G compared to any other continent put together. The link may throw some light on what would be possible on EvDO handsets.

http://www.au.kddi.com/english/product/index.html

The products listed under CDMA 1X WIN category are mobiles which supports EvDO.

Hope the above link will help you to refine your thoughts for discussion.

Edited by kesav

Yes and today RIM (thats Reseach in Motion the big daddy of productive mobiles) launched its 1st EVDO model.

There is no dearth of phones available in the market.

Thing is the Govt. wont allow it. Stupid phuckin idiots. They dont want to give CDMA an unfair advantage!

EVDO capablities are fantastically handled by DoCoMo Japan, and Vodafone to an extent (reserach mode) in UK.

3 supports video over WCDMA Streams rather than EVDO.

India ... we gotta wait and watch mate!

Cheers

Ashok

Fellas,

Is the Nokia 6255 EVDO enabled?!?

Thanks.

PS. I'm planning on assassinating Mr. Maran...soon. Anyone with a spare PSG-1 sniper rifle? :)

No. I think only the LG 7130 (I think thats the one) is a EVDO phone from RIM's stock.

I don't think LG7130 is EvDO. As for as I know there're no phones with EvDO in Reliance since it doesn't make sense to promote 3G phones till technology is available for customer. In otherwords customer have to pay for technology available in phone which can't be used.

By the way have a look at EvDO enabled blackberry.

http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackbe...erry7130e.shtml

Fellas,

Is the Nokia 6255 EVDO enabled?!?j

I hope someone answered this question.

Is LIVE Aajtak available on this phone via EVDO?

Is the LIVE Aajtak available all over India or only in areas where EVDO is launched?

Thanks.

PS. I'm planning on assassinating Mr. Maran...soon. Anyone with a spare PSG-1 sniper rifle? :thumb:

47772[/snapback]

Don't have a rifle .... but wholehearted support you. That b*stard.

Whatever is available currently on the reliance network is not through EvDO. LiveAajtak is also not through EvDO. If it's through EvDO then you'll enjoy much more speed and refresh rate. For launching EvDO you need separate high frequency band for data transmission and the voice will be carried over the current band. Government is not wiling to provide the high frequency band ear marked for CDMA in 3G to Reliance basically because they want to wait till all operators get equipped with 3G equipments for tower and other infrastructure. For CDMA its very simple for to move from 2.5G to 3G since the underlying multiplexing technology remains the same. Its costly for GSM operators because they've to switch from TDMA(GSM is varaint of TDMA) to CDMA in 3G. Just simple science will tell you CDMA is more efficient use of available bandwidth compared to TDMA which is bandwidh inefficient. In 3G basically science is confluencing in CDMA multiplexing but still there'll be difference in how its implemented. For GSM it'll be WCDMA and for current CDMA it'll be CDMA EvDO.

Looking from mobile user point of view I'm not bothered about promoting competition or any other stuff ...Basically every citizen would like to have the technology as fast as possible inside their country. If some operators have disadvantage its because of their poor foresight about technology. They've to suffer for that. Nobody stopped any operator to take CDMA when mobile was introduced in India. They thought only of initial investment in which GSM is less basically because the technology is inefficient. Even a higher secondary kid will know the TDMA is bandwidth hungry compared to CDMA. Its time for government not to play petty politics and better support the horses for the courses instead waiting for all horses to get groomed.

In case of Japan 3G in CDMA was available from around mid of 2004 and now they lead the world. Japenese government didn't wait till 3G in GSM was finalized. During the time of introduction of EvDO in Japan GSM group was deliberating on multiplexing to be used in 3G.

Government should try to promote competition but should not at the cost of early introduction of technology. If its between market competition and technology, I'll always vote for technology.

Edited by kesav

Good coments kesav!

Government must resolve 3G issues as early as possible and must allow CDMA operator to lunch best technologies like EvDo.

EvDo is very good for small and medium BPOs/Software firms and individual professionals.

You know guys..... our government is stupid they will first thisnk about their own money...they are corrupt and hate cdma operator because sonia gandhi is from congress and anil ambani is from SP. sonia gandhi hates ambani and other congress leaders just try to mke her happy...these leaders even sell our country for money...they donot have interest in developement but just ..CHAAPLUS HAI AUR MOKA MILA PAISE KE LIYE APNE IMAAN KE SAATH APNE DESH KO BHI BECH DE

Kesav:

Firstly its the LG 7230. And it is an EVDO phone. Dont think. Live with it. http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?show...052&mode=linear

Secondly, the Govt. is not waiting for GSM 3G standards to be finalised or for Airtel to say it is ready/capable to implement 3G or anything like that.. They cannot allow GSM players to start 3G services because the 2100 Mhz bandwidth is being used by the Army. So they will have to wait for the Army to clear that. And naturaly it cant be done overnight.

And while I would like RIM to start EVDO from tomorrow. This argument is reasonably fair.

And while you might not care about competition, examples like AT&T, IBM, Microsoft, the Rockerfellas etc etc etc sure makes a lot of other people care about it.

Thirdly the Japs at least DoCoMo & Vodafone use 3G GSM technology - wCDMA. (Ashok - VGA Boy :unsure: make a note). Only KDDI uses EVDO. And the earliest wCDMA implementation was done in 2001! EVDO (KDDI) in 2002, i.e. well after GSM was there! http://www.eurotechnology.com/3G/.

And finally, what will be the cost for EVDO/wCDMA services. Given how incredibly expensive an unlimited 144kbps connection is. Plus factoring in the price of a high end evdo phone (and how many of those has RIM sold till date)! I'm guessing there wont be any long queues outside webworlds of people waiting to signup for 2.4Mbps services.

Edited by anujit

WHOA

Wait a freakin' minute...u sure that theLG RD7230 is a EVDO enabled handset?!?

I mean I knew it had a Qualcomm 3G chipset but EVDO!!! :unsure:

And I bought this damn Nokia 6255 thinking that just because it had a RUIM slot it was EVDO enabled?!? DUH...DOUBLE DUH :thumb:

BTW, tell me is it unwise for me to sell my old RD7230? Should I wait a few yrs and see if they actually have the balls enough to launch 3G services?!?

Any advice on this my dear 4G friends? :(

Thanks in advance.

PS. 4G=4th Gen. :unsure:

LGRD7230 is not an EvDO handset and it only contains Qualcomm 3G chipset but phone doesn't support dual band communication or high-end real-time video streaming and web browsing, highligt of EvDO. The misconception was due to the fact it uses the chip-set used in 3G phones. Its like putting 2.6 litre engine on Maruti 800.

The spectrum which Army is planning to vacate is very limited of entire spectrum planned for 3G. Leaving out that spectrum, there's enough available for both GSM and CDMA operators.That argument was only highlighted by the media lobbying with GSM operators to postpone introduction.

Coming to WCDMA introduction in 2001 it was at nascent stage and test introduction of WCDMA can't be compared with operational intorduction of EvDO by KDDI. Anyway real-time WCDMA could only reach the speed of 340 kb/s compared to 7000 to 800 kb/s achieved in EvDO.

Regarding market competition have a look at the examples of LG in consumer electronics, Toyota in automobiles etc.., It doesn't depend on when you enter market but depends on what you do after you enter market. There are infinite number of success stories about late entrants due to their technological innovations.

The following are the links to some more EvDO enabled handsets.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...selTab=Features

http://www.evdoinfo.com/EVDO_Products/EVDO_Phones/

Kesav... man.... :grin:

Neither LG nor Toyota have outright market leadership in anything. So they do not serve as examples of any monopolistic corporation. Good or bad. Google might have been a better example (of good). But they are an exception. And knowing about the "ethical practices" of Reliance....

And the 7230 is a full fledged EVDO phone. Web browsing and video streaming is not what defines EVDO, they are services that can take advantage of EVDO to deliver richer content. The chipset and data connectivity speed (2.4 Mbps) defines EVDO.

To quote your link - http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...selTab=Features

EVDO Connectivity

* Enjoy wireless data transfers up to 10 times faster than dial-up.

Thats all EVDO is. Don't confuse it with the features and functionality of smart phones. EVDO is a relatively expensive technology so it will of course appear on the high end models first.

And yes wCDMA is slower than EVDO. So? :grin: Is that what I said or what you were beetching about what happened in Japan? :clap:

Achillies:

And as for 3G. CDMA 1x2000 is a 3G technology. So any phone on Reliance is a 3G phone.

But more importantly you WILL get 2.4 Mbps internet connectivity on your 7230 once RIM starts EVDO services. If you want to sell it when RIM starts EVDO I will be happy to buy it from you!

And I think all RIM-Nokia phones have a R-UIM slot (disabled) on them. As does the Telson and the GTRAN models. R-UIM is not appreciated by Reliance or even the Tatas.

The true purpose of R-UIM was to be an equivalent of a GSM SIM card. So you should be able to buy JUST the chip from a shop and insert it into ANY R-UIM CDMA 1x2000 phone and it would be programmed OTA. But thats not what happens, even with Tata. :o:o

Edited by anujit

Anujit:

If you're so confident that 7230 is a EvDO phone then I don't have anything to say.

The information which I got that 7230 is not an EvDO phone is from an LG employee. May be there's chance he might have been not aware.

Achilles :

In bothways its better for you to sell that handset.

If its not an EvDO it's a jackpot for you.

If it's an EvDO phone even then 7230 is not capable of using EvDO's potential. You can buy a better phone then.

So Don't lose the opportunity which Anujit is providing you.

But more importantly you WILL get 2.4 Mbps internet connectivity on your 7230 once RIM starts EVDO services.

Hehe. That 2.4Mbps isn't dedicate only for you :help: