Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Review: Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII - Epic 4G Touch - The Mammoth

Ok so no Root, no USB OTG...

Thnx Rajan Bhai :)

@Ankit One thing I did notice is that in Settings > Storage, the internal storage of the phone shows up as "USB Storage" instead of "Device memory" and I suspect this may have something to do with it - if the phone already "thinks" it has a USB storage device attached, another one may not be possible.:(

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by amitroutray
  • Like 1

Yeah possible. Dunno.....

Anyways just found out that epic touch 4G has a whooping ten point capacitive touch screen compared to a measly 4 point on the evo 3D. Dunno what is the benefit. But I personally liked the touch feel of HTC more!!!!!

friends i odin D710USEL29_20120105151142_Stock.zip did a hard reset all wipes and i started getting the update of ics now i am on stock ics and everything is just fine .

sms backup is definetely crashing also viber is crashing but i think that is the problem with the app.

friends i odin D710USEL29_20120105151142_Stock.zip did a hard reset all wipes and i started getting the update of ics now i am on stock ics and everything is just fine .

sms backup is definetely crashing also viber is crashing but i think that is the problem with the app.

How's the battery? Please give the link soI can download it too.

as far as battery is concerned , friends you must not forget that you are using a smartphone , so it is up to you how you use it and for how long you want your battery to last, the more avtive apps you load into it the less will the battery last.

i am using almost all active apps as you might be seeing in the screenshots, my battery lasts for almost 6 to 10 hours depending on the area i am in, if i am in a low coverage or bad network area my battery lasts less.

i am using around 8 email accounts kept to be sycn. every 10 minutes.

so i think my battery is perfect.

i also keep it connected to a electric or usb charger whenever i have access to one. that is neccessary, one must consider a smartphone as a lappy connect it to a charger when not in use.

i do not think that the roms or builds have anything to do with the battery.

the stock rom i downloaded , i do not remember from where i got one coz i just googled it and actually downloaded it on my mobile.

if you want i am uploading it to my dropbox. and the link is

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15103433/D710USEL29_20120105151142_Stock.zip

• Like 2

Rishi is your GPS working perfectly?

If yes, I think smartphones are not allowed there(the place in the 1st image).:P

• Like 1

I was really pissed off from the ICS update ff18. This update scre^&* my phone battery for good. I am unable to make even 7 hours from the phone with just the EVDO on and all the sync disabled as well as screen brightness set to the lowest on top of I never use wifi, gps or bluetooth at my place of work.

My usage is just some texting and say 1 hour of calls in total. At times even after carrying an extra oem battery I am unable to make it back from work. I was planning to shift to some custom rom today however I saw on XDA about a new OTA build fh13 This update is realeased to address the battery drain issue due to ics ff18 ota and will be rolled out in stages however if you do not wish to wait please visit XDA here.

There are two versions of it one with full data wipe and the other with just the update with data preserved please check before you update. Finally I would recommed to wait for a day or two to see the reviews about how it is going before we jump in to the ship like I did with ff18. I do not want to differ DK sir but for me ff18 drains the battery a lot.

P.S Guys please Do NOT perform factory resets using stock recovery or privacy->reset, at least until you read about the EMMC superbrick/lockup bug and understand what the trigger points are and what you are exposing yourself to.

• Like 3

I was really pissed off from the ICS update ff18. This update scre^&* my phone battery for good. I am unable to make even 7 hours from the phone

The problem may be something else. You can try CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to identify it.

I was really pissed off from the ICS update ff18. This update scre^&* my phone battery for good. I am unable to make even 7 hours from the phone

The problem may be something else. You can try CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to identify it.

Vishal I had Better Battery Stats to check partial kernel wakelogs also had Watchdog and Onovo data count to alert me of any rouge apps. But it was not much of a help. This issue has been reported by tons of users over XDA on FF18 OTA.

Sprint has realesed a new OTA FH13 to address this issue and the change log clearly says (Battery drain issue fix)

To cut it short given the kind of person I am I was unable to resist the temptation to flash the FH13 OTA to fix this issue, but to my horror it went worst from worse. Issues like SOD (Sleep of death) and phone auto shutdown surfaced.

So bye bye ICS and I flashed stock EL29 GB back to my phone and voila my phone is as good as new now I am on 60% battery now with 11+ hours of usage which has some good texting 30 mins of calls 2 hours of music playback. On ICS I would be on my 2nd battery by now. Meanwhile sprint has a new OTA FH26 ready to be rolled out in steps :doh:

I will not consider ICS until we have a battery efficient kernel and modem for the stock. AFAIK the ICS rom is very good on FH13 I felt the phone was more snappier but the issues like phone shutting down by itself is not acceptable.

• Like 1

I've attacked the screenshots from better battery stat. Can someone explain on hot to read this?

post-19060-13461226768_thumb.jpg

post-19060-134612269277_thumb.jpg

Additional screenshots.

post-19060-134612345182_thumb.jpg

post-19060-134612346909_thumb.jpg

^ provide screenshot of Alarm also. Also kernel wakelock is not showing anything.

Edited by phonegeek

I've just installed it today & screenshots were taken immi.

post-19060-134617251955_thumb.jpg

I recently rooted my EPIC TOUCH running FF18. (No ROM installed)

Today I got a OTA update message for FH13 which I denied for fear of bricking my phone.

Is it safe for applying the OTA over the rooted FF18 or should I unroot first?

I am new to this rooting business.

I have no clue how to 'unroot'

Damn these OTA messages are persistent !!

Edited by n_iceman

The FH13 update is supposed to fix the Battery Life issue. Its a minor update and hope we all get it soon - http://www.androidpo...-to-build-fh13/

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_4g_touch/blog/2011/12/07/samsung-epic-touch-4g-software-updates

Edited by dkaile

You can use this Universal Android Flasher Tool to unroot >> http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=28719715

That tool also does so many other things through an easy graphical interface.

Must for people uncomfortable with using command line tools in android.

• Like 1

In one of the other forums a guy got OTA, updated and he's not happy with battery. FF18 was better according to him. There's another update expected.

You can use this Universal Android Flasher Tool to unroot >> http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=28719715

Thanks rajan bhai ... but is it essential to unroot then proceed with the OTA or can I proceed in the rooted state ?

Does this have something to do with S-on/ S-off ? How can I find if my phone is S-off ?

Of you've not deleted the defaults apps them there's no problem. You can accept three OTA.

I am on recalked 1.7 ics ff18. Battery is not that great guyz. 75d8661a-7107-102c.jpg

Of you've not deleted the defaults apps them there's no problem. You can accept three

I have only frozen them using TB.. should I defrost then try?

Under titanium backup pro you can freeze apps or services that you do not which to execute while using the phone. You can unfreeze them when you need them back.

AFAIK the only problem should be that you will loose the root that is all after you update the OTA. You can try unfreezing the sprint bloatware before you proceed. Best of luck with this OTA in my case I had a very bad experience with regards to battery, signal and auto shutdown issue. but I can't deny the fact that there are people actually loving it and I can vouch that my phone was much more snappier with this OTA.

• Like 1