Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
::: VA :::

Existence precedes essence

Existentialism  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think existence precedes essence?

• Of course
    • Not at all
    • Never bothered
    • Have to give it a thought

na tha kuch to khuda tha, kuch na hota to khuda hota

duboya mujhko hone ne, na hota main to kya hota

After lot of deliberation I am starting this topic here. Not sure if there are many takers but its always worth an attempt.

Its a very popular theory of existentialism which has been debated endlessly that whether existence precedes essence.

I feel it might reveal some fresh opinions discussing here at rimweb with techies, geeks & freaks like me.

Let me generalize both the keywords here so it helps in associating & validating everybody's point.

Existence - the very core of you with which you are born; something without any attributes & associations;; your actual being irrespective of anything.

Essence - based on your choices, preference & decisions the person that you have become or you are, your complete persona; these factors are obviously

affected and hence dependent on your exposure, upbringing, atmosphere, company, location, gender, etc.; your character or personality

I would like to make a request here that please dont post based on your whims unless philosophy really interests you. As most people dont understand existence and negate it as blank or void. But its refered in various languages & philosophy as brahm, sifar & self

Some quotes to instigate things.

mahavakya from hindu sanskrit scriptures "tat tvam asi" "thou art that"

saying by adi shankracharya "brahm satyam jagnimithya jevo brahmev naparah" Brahman alone is real, the universe is unreal, and the individual soul is no other than the universal soul.

hua jab gham se yu behis, to gham kya sar ke katne ka

na hota gar juda tan se, to zano par pada hota

• Like 3

Though this is end less topic, I would like to mention my definition off brahm or existence, I believe it is beyond existence of human, matter by default has memory or information storage and retrival system, our DNA themselves are made of atomic substances like electron, proton and neutrons. They can replicate, assign jobs and what not. So soul or Brahma or existence lies in each particle.

Therefore we were even before we born and we will be even after death.

BTW I am except for above definition I am aethist absolutely aethist. Since last 28 years of my life.

• Like 2

I am an atheist. All these mythologies are quite interesting read to debate, nothing more than that.

Science is the only religion that accepts change.

I swear to Darwin.

<br /><br />BTW I am except for above definition I am aethist absolutely aethist. Since last 28 years of my life.
I am an atheist. All these mythologies are quite interesting read to debate, nothing more than that.<br /><br />Science is the only religion that accepts change.<br /><br />I swear to Darwin.
<br /><br />This thread does not pertain to god 's existence, religions or mythology so being an atheist is irrelevant here. This is about our existence and its essence. I appreciate the point stated by kshah otherwise.<br /><br />Interestingly the context you both stated when saying "I am......" begins with "I" that means your complete acceptance that "I" exists and hence it has any acquired attribute. What essence its made of or has comes next.<br /><br />Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br /> Edited by ::: VA :::

Idea proceeds everything.

@ VA

Yes, there seems to be enough reasons to believe that existence is not dependent of essence. Our outlook is just a outcome of our intellect.

Existence is deeper than instinct and instinct is deeper than intellect. Existence is part of universal consciousness. Had earth been 5% here of there from sun or few degrees here or then on its axis, life would not have existed on. But building block of life was still there in every particle of universe. It was probably a matter of having right environment to take shape.

Me mentioning about being atheist is because these type of discussion ultimately revolve around ancient references without any doubts or questioning. If discussion is standing on our own analysis then it is worth the discussion doesn't matter if it is coinciding with ancient observation of some one. Religious mind usually do not have courage to ask questions to SO CALLED TORCH BEARER.

• Like 1

Idea proceeds everything.

for an idea to formulate, emanate or arise. its dependent on the existence of its base/platform; a mind. so we come to what we are discussing here i.e. its existence.

idea becomes secondary. as it cannot exist on its own.

There is a movement going on globally for a while now. Which also aims though not literally to better understand the essence of life. It's called SLOW

there is no point in my explaining the whole thing but wiki already has the best info

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Movement

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Slow movement will not be a choice for next generation.

This hydrocarbon revolution happening will naturally come to an end,once the planet runs out of this non renewable energy.

It's already adopted by masses young and old in food travel fashion design lifestyle etc.

Everyone is more aware and it has various interpretations. So it's not likely to generalize it for any age group. Priorities are changing and most people want to utilize the best of everything instead of a fleeting experience.

Life moves from simplicity to complexity so isn't it retardation due to fear of coping up with pace?

It's also not understanding the reality of this short human life span & the perceived unknown.

Life moves from simplicity to complexity so isn't it retardation due to fear of coping up with pace?

I think given your ways people should have pizza and ice cream through injections. Anybody who still wants to taste the real thing isn't capable off coping with fast pace. Or if anyone gets sick and hospitalized for few months, they should shift his office and family next to the bed there. So that he can cope up.

It's also not understanding the reality of this short human life span & the perceived unknown.

An infant learns & grows up at his own pace and no known or unknown power can speed it up. We all require 6-8 hrs of sleep unless we are in drugs. It can't be changed.

But having a fresh n ripe mango only possible in the right season. Unless you fancy cold storage fruits or the ones grown in artificial environment, May be tetra pack juice or canned slices.

Guys these are all metaphors. Few people may consider canned fruits as the new age way but it can never beat having freshly cut seasoned fruits.

Only the deadlines made by us can be achieved by increasing the pace, everything in nature has its own balance of time and speed. You cannot fathom the unknown without patience whether materialistic or spiritual.