Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kawalghai_chd

Vsnl And Reliance Submarine Cables Damaged

Two submarine cables FLAG and SEA-ME-WE-3 that carry voice, data and Internet bandwidth to a number of countries, including India, were damaged at around 37 nautical miles off Mumbai coast today.

The mishap is unlikely to impact telephony as the bandwidth is being restored over redundant cables and satellites. Internet access in certain circuits, however, may slow down. The degree of the damage was also not immediately known

FLAG is a cable owned by Reliance Infocomm, while SEA-ME-WE-3 is a consortium cable. The Tata group-controlled Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL) is the landing partner of SEA-ME-WE-3 in India.

Officials from both Reliance and VSNL confirmed that the cable had been damaged, but added that bandwidth has been restored on both of them.

Officials of both the companies also said there would be a lag in certain circuits as the bandwidth could not be fully restored. This was likely to slowdown Internet and bandwidth access, but precautions were taken as not to affect enterprise bandwidth users, they added.

Did anyone face any disrupption in speed/services. I didnt on my mobile (for data services of course).