Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ashokjp

Spymac Gets On Google Bandwagon

Spymac gets on Google bandwagon, offers free 1 GB e-mail service

Source: Techtree Update (April 6, 2004)

Spymac, a Web hosting company for Apple Macintosh buffs, announced e-mail accounts with 1 gigabyte of storage, on the lines of Google's G-mail last week that offers searchable Web-based e-mail service with similar storage capacity. Starting from yesterday, subscribers to Spymac Mail's free membership will get access to this storage along with 350 MB combined storage, personal blog, forum, gallery, auctions etc.

With approximately 47,000 members, site is small fry as compared to Google and other free-mail providers. But Spymac's move to offer more storage signals the movement of the market towards uniformity and indicates the relatively low cost of such a venture.

Spymac states that millions of people rely on easy access to mail and depend on their email service to not indiscriminately delete important mail. Spymac Mail, in addition to the one-gigabyte storage increase, offers both POP3 and Webmail access to the email accounts. Spymac Mail does not include keyword scanning for search and has no advertising.

This move could imply significant changes in the services offered by the major e-mail providers. Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail impose fees of between $10 and $50 a year for a fraction of the e-mail storage offered by Google and Spymac. Yahoo subscribers, for example, get 100 megabytes storage (for $50) that is 10 times less than Spymac's free 1GB.

It seems like with the new trend of offering free 1 GB email space, Yahoo and Hotmail may have to give away more storage, if they want to stay in the game.

Currently, Yahoo is starting to use storage upgrades in its promotions, advertising price breaks for added disk space. And last week, it sent an e-mail promotion to selected subscribers, giving away 100 megabytes.

Google was the first to shout out the concept of 1 gb free email..

But their services are not open to users.. still under testing!!! :'(

Spymac is gonna rock with this new 1 gb service..

This name is a strange one to webbies.. but it seems tat it will soon become

very popular... :D

Here are some screenshots of the Gmail beta service...

Spymac is also facing problems. Not easy handling a huge influx of 'subscribers'. So the story is the same, Reliance ho ya Spymac ho! :rolleyes:

gmail in lotz of problem may be blocked...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3621169.stm

I dont think they will be blocked...

The thing pointed in tat article is regarding the users privacy

due to adds and email scanning

In matters of adds, even the rival mail services do have a Ad. content

to a certain extent..

They scan the mails too for virus and other stuffs..

Spymac is also facing problems. Not easy handling a huge influx of 'subscribers'. So the story is the same, Reliance ho ya Spymac ho! :rolleyes:

Spymac is having problems with Email...

But if you have noticed, their customer support is really good..

I had the following issues

1) Dint receive activation for one email..

2) Couldnt send and receive mails

3) Couldnt Attach File

All these were corrected in half a days time since i posted a query.

spymac site is not fast as google is !.so it really is bad .. coz a mail user doesnt want to wait 10 mins on a dialup till the site loads and he logsin to check his mail!. and lookslike spymac assumes that all of its users areon a broadband !!.. that would be CrazY of 'em to think that way !.

i have sent a mail !.it reached almost immediatelY !. mayb e i wont use it for sending mail !. instead forward my imp attachments to that mail box instead !!!.

Spymac used to give 250 mb free email with around 24 servers up with Dual OC-3

connectivity...

Now it gives 1gb which made it more popular....

:rolleyes: aah leave it, lemme start of with the post.. :P

Regarding the load time,

The site isnt slow, Its the webmail that is a bit slow at times

and in their message board, someone has said that it is due to the

webmail system they use.. They are using Atmail software as webmail...

So that might c the same in google too.. Their site may load fast

but when it comes to webmail, they may be a little back at times of high usage

or any such stuffs

i had tried the webmail on dialup and broadband few times..

Wat i notice is the mail isnt always slow always...

Only a few times it was slow..

Else I was always able to check and send mail in around 2-3 mins time in dialup..

I registered at Spymac (a name that inspires trust!) as soon as I read Ashok's post here. The first day I tried sending mail using webmail I got an error saying that SMTP on 127.0.0.1 wasn't configured! And that scared me --- why was the website trying to send mail using my machine as an SMTP server!!!

Either ways it was a bug or they have hacked into my machine and can use it as a mail relay since the message has stopped appearing when i send messages from there.

But people you have to realise the best part about this email service --- FREE POP ACCESS!!! For all you people complaining how slow it is to open their site. Not to mention using crappy addresses nothing as nice as mail.yahoo.com or hotmail.com to directly go to their login page. Use a POP client to solve all your problems!!!

But people you have to realise the best part about this email service --- FREE POP ACCESS!!! For all you people complaining how slow it is to open their site. Not to mention using crappy addresses nothing as nice as mail.yahoo.com or hotmail.com to directly go to their login page. Use a POP client to solve all your problems!!!

Didn't get this part...

And the day since i made a spymac account, i get "NO VALID USERDATA FOUND" error! Cant understand y, coz i've verified the password with the FORGOTPASS link as well. Seems the shear load on the server to be the issue.

But is it really a 1GB email service? :clap: Read in one of their forums tht its a April Fool Hoax and even JAX mentioned abt it!

I registered at Spymac (a name that inspires trust!) as soon as I read Ashok's post here. The first day I tried sending mail using webmail I got an error saying that SMTP on 127.0.0.1 wasn't configured! And that scared me --- why was the website trying to send mail using my machine as an SMTP server!!!

Either ways it was a bug or they have hacked into my machine and can use it as a mail relay since the message has stopped appearing when i send messages from there.

It isnt any bug, nor did they hack into your system...

127.0.0.1 is not a unique ip for your system...

Its a common ip for the local network..

While configuring a webmail system, you dont need to give a internet ip unless the smtp server is not on your network.. As the smtp server is on their local system, they

jus gave it as 127.0.0.1 or localhost.. Tats it... :rolleyes:

And the error came bcz, at that time their server might have been undergoing maintanence and webmail couldnt have been able to connect to the smtp server..

can use it as a mail relay since the message has stopped appearing when i send messages from there.

They cant use it as a mail relay.. unless you have a smtp server installed in your system.. Even if you have 1 installed, they wont.. :clap:

Yeh free POP is there..

Its mentioned in the Activation welcome mail..

But it had some bugs sometime when you send mail..

Outlook Configuration

Incoming Mail Server: mail.spymac.com

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.spymac.com

--------------------

They are also going to bring IMAP access.

With POP3, you can have access to only mails in INBOX..

But with IMAP, you can access mails from all folders.. :clap:

But is it really a 1GB email service? :rolleyes: Read in one of their forums tht its a April Fool Hoax and even JAX mentioned abt it!

It isnt any April Fools Joke :clap:

It is a 1 gb mail...

I already got 5 accounts there...

And the day since i made a spymac account, i get "NO VALID USERDATA FOUND" error! Cant understand y, coz i've verified the password with the FORGOTPASS link as well. Seems the shear load on the server to be the issue.

This message comes when you have not verified your account with

the link in the Activation Mail..

When i registered with a Rediff ID, the activation mail was sent immediately,

In hotmail it took 4 days...

In Yahoo, (3 days)

The activation mails which are not sent immediately sent, will be sent

to you in a short period, according to the queue..

You will receive a mail from staff@spymac.com

So chirag, Be ready to experience a 1 gb mail!!! :wub:

Sorry Friends,

Here I am posting something that's not the part of RIMWEB contents,but I thought it may interest all of us interested in internet.

Hopefully you must have come across G mail-Yes ! it's Google ;) who launched it's e-mail service k/a G Mail with mail stroage capicity of 1000 MB(1GB) and there is no bug like "trash" so no need to delete your important mails anymore :D It's free :clap:

Currently g mail is in test mode,so they are not providing registration facility however on requesting to Google team they might provide you your usename and password to give your review on G mail.Here are some important links:

G mail Home: https://gmail.google.com/ (it's https not http :unsure: )

To contact for usename,password: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=google.p...support.general

Thanks

Google as someone mentioned maybe faster than Spymac..

But registration is still not open for all.. Still under testing!!!

The credit of launching the first 1gb mail service goes to Spymac!! :P

hey guys,

i use both spymac and gmail <_< yes gmail, i got an accout today..... i know u would be calling me all kinds of names.

anyway gmail is really fast. especially after logging in it took me about 5 sec to log in. and after that each click gives prompt action. and the features are really good. u can label each email. the email you send and receive from one person is shown together so its easy to refer. and so and and on. and another feature i liked best. if u have logged in, then even from sent or trash folder u just have to press c to compose a new message, its almost like a program instant result. press c and ur already inthe compose page.

compared to it spymac is not that good. i use it only for pop3, been using it for a few months i think. and sometimes i dont get my mail. its servers seem to be down a lot.

another thing, i dont have invites yet. and if i get invites i would give it out to some close friends first and maybe a few on rimweb. so if i dont reply to ur requests dont take offence

my email id there:

its suniljoseph@gmail.com

:quest:

U LUCKY,

sunil tell me how did u get it.

well, first of all. i dont have any invites to give out. lets wait till i get some. so no use anyone asking me to refer their names, coz i cant do it yet.

well try asking for an invite at gmailswap.com

many ppl are asking for it there, and some are actually getting it

i got this from a chat friend of mine.