Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
abhay

Reliance Communication To Enter Gsm Services

anujit then y cant they offer unlimited plans clever6613.gif

dont tell me they can coz if they could there is so much competition in the market that they would have started it already

i think the ONLY and ONLY problem with CDMA is with handsets :P

otherwise CDMA is cheaper & more efficient (for operator) than GSM!! u tell me what does a consumer want

1) cheap rates << cdma takes the cake

2) good flexibility with operators and handsets

# i think the people who just look for cheaper rates (businessmen and auto , taxiwalas etc :( ) go for CDMA << they(businessmen) generally have high bills but the margin for voice services is very low

# the people who use and go for gsm are they people who use VAS (value added services) more than voice services (generally speaking :Riendo: ) VAS have more margin than voice

anil wants a share from people who come in 2'nd category

whay say ?? now don't pound on me !! ntn personal !! :(

Edited by abhay

sc1093ss.gif handsyraj plz stop using this link in ur every post

Hey guys ...

cafe.

well i have an answer to your problem but first follow the link and register.

next time i will come with your solution with complete write up.

badmood.gif

check ur this post

EDIT :-

try installing all the plugins from firefox.com.

register at

and this one tooo

although this one was more of a joke than a post 57f4dd2d586b30ffbc1412a5d9214075.gif

Links removed. Puneet.

Edited by Puneet

Hi,

Just wait for another 8 - 10 months everything will be clear ..... and also i must tell everybody reliance is not a company who is ready to lose its CDMA subscriber base they will offer a JHAKAS :P scheme in which everyone will easily shift to Reliance SMART(GSM).

1) then too father of indian GSM (in hindi reliance ka baap :Riendo: ) airtel is still in d way and i dont think they will selloff

**although i dont think thats possible coz of the 10% rule i mentioned above :confuse:

I didnt understand about the Airtel part. Why wont they allow the sell off? And this is Reliance we're talking about buddy! They make the government change the rules for them to accomodate their own interests :)

Abhay: Some GSM companies do offer some sort of "unlimited" schemes for instance Airtel gives 1000 Airtel-Airtel free minutes a month for Rs. 400 rental. Also they have roaming @ Rs. 1/min on Airtel networks. So scheme wise I don't see how they're any different from RIM.

Also more importantly I don't think unlimited or limited schemes in India are driven by Operating Costs. Cingular is a GSM provider who gives unlimited weekend/evening plans. So there.

And also while I agree with you theoretically in reality paan walas and doodh wallas invariable carry nokia 33xx handsets with GSM connections (usually Airtel or BSNL).

Edited by anujit

1) then too father of indian GSM (in hindi reliance ka baap :grin: ) airtel is still in d way and i dont think they will selloff

**although i dont think thats possible coz of the 10% rule i mentioned above :NO:

I didnt understand about the Airtel part. Why wont they allow the sell off? And this is Reliance we're talking about buddy! They make the government change the rules for them to accomodate their own interests ;)

bhai im talking as per current rules !! hone ko toh reliance has soo much money that can buy out airtel also :Riendo: !! if the rules change the assumptions will change accordingly :Contento:

Abhay: Some GSM companies do offer some sort of "unlimited" schemes for instance Airtel gives 1000 Airtel-Airtel free minutes a month for Rs. 400 rental. Also they have roaming @ Rs. 1/min on Airtel networks. So scheme wise I don't see how they're any different from RIM.

Also more importantly I don't think unlimited or limited schemes in India are driven by Operating Costs. Cingular is a GSM provider who gives unlimited weekend/evening plans. So there.

And also while I agree with you theoretically in reality paan walas and doodh wallas invariable carry nokia 33xx handsets with GSM connections (usually Airtel or BSNL).

anujit with that example i ment there are more people using VAS on GSM than in CDMA!! and offcource VAS is more profitable than voice services (i dont know i read it somewhere long time back that in near future more concentration will be given on VAS than on voice services because just voice services won be profitable

any more)

so anil might be wanting a share in that pie also :Contento:

Gotchya dude :Contento: but what killer VAS can GSM provide that would threaten CDMA so much?

I don't think either GSM or CDMA have a competitive advantage in that they can provide a type of service that the other cannot.

Gotchya dude :Contento: but what killer VAS can GSM provide that would threaten CDMA so much?

I don't think either GSM or CDMA have a competitive advantage in that they can provide a type of service that the other cannot.

sir, GSM + CDMA both can provide VAS @ the same level !! but im saying that people on GSM using VAS is much much higher than on CDMA!!

one of the reasons could be due to availability of highend handsets (easier market access to handsets) on GSM part :Contento:

:clap:

well dudes....i think we are trying to prove one another that CDMA is better and GSM is better....

but i think the fact is Reliance

have plans to take CDMA and GSM bothe together and become the no.1 in both ther worlds

people can choose according to choices...

like the one who travels a lot will like GSM

and the one who likes voice and data will stick to cdma

and since in GSM one have no fear of sticking to one service is the only reason for GSM being popular and also choice of handsets

otherwise in broad sense if u r not a traveller who go places around the world and as GSM around the world have more connectivity you will like cdma and also if more and more handsets are available...

i think reliance will have like this

do boats main ek saath savari.....

so both GSM and CDMA rocks on diff views

There's an interesting off-shoot developing on the recent move by Reliance to start GSM and cutting the frills of CDMA. Not a confirmed info but grapevine talk from reliance circle.

Reliance is very much interested in taking CDMA further but in 3G. They want to keep the high end customers in CDMA EvDO network. EvDO would be far better than WCDMA in performance. This augurs well for them since the EvDO sets are very much prevalent and less costly than their WCDMA counterparts in the world. This gives them advantage in high end segment.

They want to move their low end customers to their own GSM network. That's the main reason why Reliance has applied for 1800 and not 2100 at the time when everybody is thinking about 2100. Reliance is not interested in starting 3G operations in GSM for foreseeable future. GSM market also helps them very much in this aspect due to very high number of mobiles(low cost) in this segment and high competition.

There's an interesting off-shoot developing on the recent move by Reliance to start GSM and cutting the frills of CDMA. Not a confirmed info but grapevine talk from reliance circle.

Reliance is very much interested in taking CDMA further but in 3G. They want to keep the high end customers in CDMA EvDO network. EvDO would be far better than WCDMA in performance. This augurs well for them since the EvDO sets are very much prevalent and less costly than their WCDMA counterparts in the world. This gives them advantage in high end segment.

They want to move their low end customers to their own GSM network. That's the main reason why Reliance has applied for 1800 and not 2100 at the time when everybody is thinking about 2100. Reliance is not interested in starting 3G operations in GSM for foreseeable future. GSM market also helps them very much in this aspect due to very high number of mobiles(low cost) in this segment and high competition.

I dont think So Reliance had already got WCDMA 2100 Band for Tesing Purpose and already Testing WCDMA in Delhi, Mumbai, Howra and Chennai

Reliance is very much Commited to GSM Platform and Going for GSM as well as WCDMA both in Near Future Definately

WCDMA is Definately Costly not by Equipment but by Frequency. For Starting WCDMA it will require minimum 5 mhz slot for EVDO it can started by bare minimum 1.25 mhz then raise it when additonal Users comes in.

WCDMA works in 2100 means it will require more Tower than 900 Mhz EVDO, But Tata & Reliance them self are not interested in 900 EVDO they also Want 1900 EVDO means Both Technology 1900 mhz and 2100 mhz have almost Same number of Tower Requirements and Both Would require new BT Transmitter. Only COst advantage left with EVDO is lower Initial Frequency, Rember That 1.25 Mhz EVDO is will become far Slower Compared to WCDMA 5 Mhz (HSDPA Software Update gives 3 mbps)

Hetal Patel

Edited by hpnasik

Hello hpnasik,

I'm talking about deployment cost of EvDO for CDMA operator which is much less than WCDMA for GSM/GPRS/EDGE operator . Then think about HSDPA, you're talking about something which is far fetched financially. In any sense HSDPA is a very nascent technology compared to EvDO, which is world proven technology for 3G. EvDO handsets are much cheaper than WCDMA handsets(Don't even think of HSDPA handsets). Any operator who is interested in 3G would never even think of buying something in 1800 for such a huge amount that too at the time when 3G is rolled out nation-wide. Royalty in 3G is common for both since all the technologies from and above 3G is developed by Qualcomm.

On the above lines I would trust that unconfirmed information that Reliance is not interested in 3G in the GSM side.

If Reliance move to GSM, what about the CDMA customers? Reliance will continue both the service?

Yes, it does look as though they will continue CDMA alongside GSM, rather than moving/shifting. They are just trying to establish in the GSM segment as well.

Yes, it does look as though they will continue CDMA alongside GSM, rather than moving/shifting. They are just trying to establish in the GSM segment as well.

GSM will be useful for us only if Reliance permits it users to switch from GSM to CDMA and vice versa with RUIM and MDN remaining same.

GSM will be useful for us only if Reliance permits it users to switch from GSM to CDMA and vice versa with RUIM and MDN remaining same.

Hi,

Reliance will allow users to shift from CDMA to GSM and vice versa definitely.

regards

rajiv

i dont think so they will allow users to shift . i think they would be running parallel services with an option to choose from gsm or cdma .

reliance gsm expected frm march 2007

How u know

as per my knowledge They have not procured any Network device no

Green Flag from DOT for Frequency also

Not these Hutch Deal is Getting Through ??/

Any Good source of info???????

How u know

They are still yet to get the spectrum allocated for further expansion of GSM and it could be till Q4 of 2007 when they complete the expansion in all circles. Even the Hutch deal will take 1 - 2 months to settle down if they win the bid.

How u know

They are still yet to get the spectrum allocated for further expansion of GSM and it could be till Q4 of 2007 when they complete the expansion in all circles. Even the Hutch deal will take 1 - 2 months to settle down if they win the bid.

I per the source the 40 Mhz Spectrum used by Force is only for some of Circle where the Airforce and other Army is there, Also 1800 Mhz in Some of Circle Some City is Still very much free

But Reliance First Demanded it for Delhi & Mumbai where 1800 is Very much Crowded and were Force also have used some of chunk there

So the Spectrum Issue is only severe for 20 to 30 Location in India only.

Hurray

Vodafone WIns Hutch and Thats anytime better for Reliance Customer

So if Now Reliance moves to GSM or WCDMA we will have Brand new Single Thread Weaven Network with All EDGE enabled Network.

Hutch is the COmpany where BPL, Hutch-Max, Orange of Bombay, CellForce (Modi Group) of Gujarat and Another Operator I can remember the Name have been Merge. There Are So many Technological Differences and the Network is So much Patched.

Existing Reliance Customer must not have Received Better GSM on avarage 6 year old Network.

Hurray we are headed for Brand New Network. Why Worry How much customer did our company have. This make no sense on Pricing as it is defined by Industry and not at all decided by Size of COmpany.